Glossary – Plumbing

When building or refurbishing a property, a plumber will usually get involved around the same time as the electrician during the first fix before the walls are put up. Generally a plumber is called more on a maintenance basis and often on emergency call out. Below are some of the things, a plumber can help you with.

Gutter, drain, gully: a gutter is a shallow trough fixed beneath the edge of a roof for carrying off rainwater. Drain gullies or grids as most people describe them are the ground level drains that your waste or storm water pipes discharge into. The basic idea of a gully is that you have a trapped receptacle at surface level that waste or storm water can pass through easily. The gully traps also intercept silt and debris from a roof or a hard standing preventing it from entering the main line system, due to this and the build up of grease and fat that can occur in kitchen waste gullies a certain amount of maintenance can be required to prevent them from blocking. Checking and cleaning your gutter and drain in Spring and before the winter, will keep the plumber away.

Valve: A valve is a device that regulates the flow of water. If you lose water pressure in a tap or shower, first check that it is not blocked by the accumulation of limescale. If this doesn’t help to regulate the pressure, it is likely that the valve will need to be replaced.

Shower cartridge: A cartridge valve is one of four types of valves that you’ll find inside a tap. A cartridge has holes that regulate water flow and temperature when you turn the handle, and it offers more precise control than other types of taps. One of the advantages of cartridges is that they are easy to replace, assuming mineral deposits and corrosion don’t hamper your efforts.

Manifold: A distribution point that connects many branches to a main water supply. It is typically used in under floor heating systems for conveying hot water to different rooms in the house.