Glossary – Joinery & Carpentry

In this second Glossary series, we look at some of the terms used in JOINERY & CARPENTRY.

Carpentry and joinery are both construction trades. In its most simplest and traditional sense, joiners ‘join’ wood in a workshop, whereas carpenters construct the building elements on-site.

Carpenters normally work on site and their specialized skill is in dealing with wood fixtures. This can include building a stud partition (an interior timber-framed dividing wall), building cupboards or shelves, fixing window frames or fitting floors.

Whether it is a parquet floor (flooring composed of wooden blocks arranged in geometric patterns) or an engineered wood floor (Layers of hardwood compressed together), the use of wooden floor in home refurbishment as seen a revival in the last years.
Engineered flooring techniques have improved in the last 20 years and can now be used all through the house. They also tend now to be more stable and more resistant to moisture.

When installing a wooden stair, the nosing (the front edge of a stair tread) will be made by a joiner and installed by a carpenter, it can be the same person.

The same will apply to coping or scribing which is a woodworking technique of shaping the end of a moulding or frame. Coping is commonly used in the fitting of skirting and other mouldings in a room.